Monday, January 2, 2012

Visions of me

What do you tell yourself when you are trying to get in that last 5 minutes on the treadmill? You know you can do it, but what is it that keeps you going? I am a visual person so I usually imagine myself being fit and healthy and glowing. That's what keeps me going when my head says you have done enough, when my shins are burning, when my body is dripping sweat.

Its not about how others see you, its about how you see yourself. I may be comfortable at 140 but the other lady on the treadmill that has the same build as me may be comfortable at 160. The other night a lady got on the treadmill next to me and I missed an opportunity. She probably would have been considered "severely obese" but it didn't matter at that moment. She was there walking and getting healthy. She was older than me and I was out of my element. I had a million thoughts about how to talk with her but couldn't get the courage. Me, not able to talk to someone, I know its a shocker. I wanted to tell her she was doing great and she was an encouragement to others but I was afraid she would think I was just mocking her with the words I offered. I wanted to invite her to join myfitnesspal if she wasn't already there. How do I know that God wasn't trying to use me to talk to her with my testimony from my blog or myfitnesspal.com. What a shame it is that I may have missed a blessing. If I happen to run into her again I will talk to her and the next time I have the need to talk to the person next to me, I will.

The person next to you on the treadmill has a story, there is a reason why they are working on getting healthy or staying healthy. Don't judge others because you don't know their story. Don't miss an opportunity to make a new friend, you never know how you might change each others lives.

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment