Thursday, January 27, 2011

Teach by Example


This blog is somewhat my thought process of a blog that I read this week.

Do you ever find yourself thinking about doing something that you know you shouldn’t or that you wouldn’t do if you were with a group of friends? Well I surely don’t. Yeah right.  

This week has been a bit of a downer for me. I am certain that it is just hormonal but man it is a kick in the butt. I find myself thinking about having an extra serving of something or maybe just a little bit more than what I accounted for in my calorie count for that meal. Then I start thinking, well I didn’t eat that much today so why can’t I have another small snack? The answer is because I don’t need it. This is a life style change. I am not doing this because I have to fit into some dress or really awesome outfit that I had to buy even though it didn’t fit me.

If I am going to give up on myself that easily then I am not the person I thought I was. So I do the logical thing and turn to God and ask for guidance and strength to overcome the issue at hand that I am not handling very well. My God can handle anything I bring to him.  

This is my life for better or worse, which completely affects my children and my husband. I have been an awful example for my girls. I mean, I say to myself, I don’t want them to go through the struggles with weight and self-esteem that I did, yet I haven’t taught them to have a healthy relationship with food. I am setting them up for failure and they don’t even know it. 

Most of my family is now or has at some point in life had weight issues. Growing up I wasn’t taught how to have a healthy relationship with food. I am not laying blame for this but I will make this change for the next generation of women in my family.

Little girls look up to their mommy’s and want to be just like her. Well to be honest, I would not want my little girls to be just like the person I have been for the last 28 years. I am only now learning how much of me was not where it needed to be but I am taking the steps daily to make the changes that God wants for me.

Have you challenged yourself to teach your kids to live better or have you been a weight tied to them that will drag them down with you?

"Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning." Proverbs 9:9

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment